Friday, June 19, 2009

Thing #7a - My Introduction to Twitter

When my son told me a month or so ago that the latest web communication tool is "Twitter", I have to admit my first reaction was "Oh no, another new "thing" for me to get caught up on and start using!" This, like many of the other explorations that I am encountering in this class, is opening up a whole new way of thinking about my own learning and ultimately, teaching, as an educator. I do feel that it is hard to "keep up" with there being so many demands on my time, but these tools are helping me to see that it is "do - able" with a little bit of effort.
I found a very helpful posting, "Twitter 101", by Lucy Gray on Google Reader from the Infinite Thinking Machine( http://www.infinitethinking.org/2009/06/friday-5-twitter-101.html)
which includes a step by step process for incorporating twitter as a professional developmental tool.
I can see that unless used wisely, there could be many pointless and useless "tweets" going back and forth in cyberspace. But if researched correctly, there could be a wealth of "tweets" on helpful topics for use in teaching. How could this be used in a fine arts classroom?? I'm just starting to think on that one. Any ideas??
I'm anxious to learn more and to continue exploring the possibilities! I love learning from my own children ( even though it's quite humbling and at times they're a little impatient with me) and also from my students!

No comments:

Post a Comment