Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thing #8 - Creative Commons

This concept is something that I have wondered about as I OFTEN include (or have thought about including but been afraid to break copyright laws) video and audio clips in my fine arts classroom.
It is a whole new way (as is all of this) of thinking about what belongs to a composer, performer, anyone in the music business, etc. as their own work and what they are allowing to be "shared".
As with anything NEW, I think we need to be careful to clarify in our own minds first, and then clearly communicate to our students what is legal and what is not. How do we do this and not get bogged down in it??? Or how do we coauthor with someone we've never met?? This kind of collaboration on the web blows my mind, and at the same time, is exciting to me.
I am glad for some initial clarification and knowledge of this new way of looking at copyrights --
the whole premise of CC ("please come in") invites and instigates a revolutionary system of sharing one's creativity, talent, and work, which is something that in my field of fine arts we are continually striving to do!

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic post: reflective and insightful. I can see where this one would have a significant impact on you and working with the fine arts.

    ReplyDelete