Monday, July 6, 2009

Thing #16 - LibraryThing

Being an avid reader and since reading is one of my favorite things to do in the summer, exploring "LibraryThing" was very interesting to me. I did several searches that I thought would be applicable to my class -- "composers" (narrowed it down to "Bach"), "piano", and "choirs". I was surprised to find that not only did it give me a very extensive listing of books on each of these subjects, but also listed actual music. What a helpful resource! Several ways that I would use this would be to assign students who are researching and writing reports on composers for extra classroom work, or to make up assignments for missing a performance, or simply to find out more about a piece that we are working on to find resources quickly. Another way would be to use it to find repertoire for a specific composer or music history period or style.
In my personal life I think the 50 Book Challenge would be a fun tool to use as a family since we are all avid readers! I could even see us involving our extended family in this. My two sisters and I have 14 children between the three of us! I also enjoyed seeing a book, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, listed on the "25 Most Reviewed List" when I explored Zeitgeist. I "randomly" bought this book at Half Price Books and read it earlier this summer!!
It was an easy read and very thought provoking. I can see why it's on the list!
What a great and very easy to use tool this is! I definitely will explore it further and use it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment