Monday, July 6, 2009

Thing #17 - podcasts

I was anxious to get to this "thing" since my son is constantly talking about several Christian podcasts that he subscribes to. I explored several of the educational podcast sites and found some that I think would be useful in my field. One that especially fascinated me was the Cranbrook Composers' Podcasts. This is an excellent tool to encourage musical creativity in middle school students set up by a fine arts teacher. Through The Tech Teachers I found a podcast for music lessons. This could be a tool to aid students and teachers in their search for additional instruction on a specific instrument. I like the feature of the continual updating of information through podcast subscriptions.
In my field we already are using many forms of this such as digital recording of students testing to "pass off" on our contest music and sightreading. We also frequently post mp3 files of music we are currently learning on our website. In my church worship ministry we also use alot of these features such as mp3 files of music for upcoming worship services and for teaching new songs to the congregation.
Perhaps another use for this "thing" could be for clinicians at TMEA (Texas Music Educators Association) and TCDA (Texas Choral Directors Association) to podcast sessions from our conventions so that we as music educators would be able to hear sessions at our convenience and leisure rather than trying to "absorb" all of it while we're at these conventions. We would also be able to "re - listen" to the sessions as needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment