Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thing #22 - Facebook

Well I finally joined Facebook! I know it's about time and probably I've been resisting due to the "time sucking" machine that it is!
I'm glad I was required to for this class so that I would have that "push" to do it. I know it's important as an educator to be current on what my students are doing, and also as a parent to keep up with my children! The funny thing is, though, that most of MY age friends, coworkers, and people I go to church with are the ones that are so wrapped up in Facebook!!
Educational uses and applications?? I'm not sure about this one! I can see students really getting bogged down in the social aspect. How many are really on Facebook to get help with a homework assignment?? I think a wiki or a blog would be a better tool for collaboration and communication for a class.
What do I like about Facebook and what insights did I gain? I like the options for privacy settings. I would prefer not to have the entire universe able to search for me. I do like the ability to communicate quickly with a lot of people if there is something going on that I want my friends to know about -- (i.e. trips, graduations, weddings)
I think Facebook has the most useful features. I think more of the communication is "appropriate" than on MySpace. I also liked the ability to upload pictures quickly and easily.
The whole concept of these social networks blows my mind! It is important to understand the ramifications of this in our students' lives - truly their way of approaching learning, relating to people, and communicating is totally influenced by this!

No comments:

Post a Comment