Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing #20 - Google Docs

I have had a little exposure to Google Docs at a training session at Poteet last year, but had not really experimented and put it to use, but had thought of many ways to implement it. In working directly with and actually "co-teaching" with 2 other choir directors this "thing" will eliminate all of our messy email attachments that actually get really confusing when we are constantly editing and updating information. Last year when we were preparing our NYC trip packet, I was confused on several occasions as to which was the most recently edited version! With Google Docs we can all make corrections and changes as we need to without the confusion. Another use would be for the uniform check out process that I am responsible for, but at times the other directors need to update or change information as students drop or add choir, change sizes, etc. I think it could also be useful in preparing our programs - one director prepares the document, and the others can proof it and edit without emailing the attachment back and forth. Wow! This would save a lot of hassle! The spreadsheet that I prepared is a roster for my piano studio next fall. I have 2 assistant teachers that work with me and they can edit and collaborate with me on this.
Finally, I prepared a document to use in my choir classes next fall. It's basically a "Welcome to Choir" and" answer basic questions so I can get to know you" questionaire. I put in a link to our choir website so the students can also "get to know the directors" and get in the habit of checking the website for updates and information. Again, each of the directors would be able to update information, collaborate, and make changes as necessary on this document! I love this "thing"!

No comments:

Post a Comment