Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thing #19 - VoiceThreads

I looked at several Voicethreads and was interested to find out about this tool as I had not been familiar with it before. One that I explored gave ideas for "bellwork", the concept of students having an assignment as they come in the classroom while the teacher is taking care of "housekeeping" duties. This was intriguing to me as we have Theory packets in choir that students do as they come in the room. I'm not sure if the VoiceThread would work for this or not, but I think if there was a way to incorporate it, the students would definitely be more motivated and engaged
in learning. The Web 2.0 Promises and Potentials VoiceThread that I had seen before was such a statistical reminder that our students truly "think" and "learn" in a totally technological way and we as educators by necessity need to utilize the tools that are available.
I think of all of the "things" so far, this one is the most difficult to adapt to a fine arts classroom. Maybe I need to do a little more "sampling" or hear comments from other fine arts teachers who have used Voicethreads, to stimulate my creativity as to how to use them in my own classroom.
I could see them being helpful for a department "meeting" instead of an actual face to face meeting or a conference call, all participants could make comments and viewing and listening to the information being presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment