Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing #7B - Google Reader Revisited

One of the blogs that I have been following on my Google Reader is of particular interest to me. This particular post,"Where's the Art in Autism Education?(& the music too)" is written by a mom and professor, whose son is autistic. I think this particularly interests me because there has been quite a bit of research and interest in the effects of music on children with special needs. She tells how her son's education is missing an important ingredient - that of exposure to and experience in the arts. She would love to see those more integrated into his "basics". I thoroughly agree, not just in the case of an autistic child, but with all children. Music provides a way to reach children in a way that nothing else can and in this case, although the child is not able to read words, he can read music. What a challenge and opportunity for us as music educators to learn how to reach those children with special needs and to instill a love of music to help them through the many challenges that they face!

No comments:

Post a Comment